The Wisconsin Cyclocross Series schedule has been updated for the 2022 season.
The Wisconsin Cyclocross Series board went through numerous iterations trying to balance the schedule against multiple factors including:
- Timing: We want to avoid starting too early to account for travel times of distant participants, and avoid ending too late to account for the waning autumn sun.
- Speed and skill differentials: We want to avoid combining slower riders with faster or more skilled riders
- Promote women’s participation: Noting the above, we wanted to provide a safe and open course for novice women to take on standard course challenges without the added challenge of riding with youth. Similarly, we also want to:
- Promote youth participation: By providing them a chance to race together and on their own course, without worrying about challenges related to racing with adults
- Accommodating double-ups: We wanted to group similar race levels for those who want to race multiple times.
- Provide a better competitor and spectator experience for our top racers: We hope to get participants of all ages and skill levels on either side of the 1/2/3 races to come out and cheer them on.
Through our multiple iterations, we toyed around with lengthening the race day, shortening and lengthening some race categories, combining various fields, spreading out categories across the day and removing the mid-day course inspections. Some of it stuck, some of it didn’t, and we finally arrived at what you see below.
We know we can’t satisfy everyone, but we hope that most of our friends and fans will appreciate the new schedule as we takes steps towards opening opportunities for more people to give cyclocross a try. As the season progresses, feel free to send us feedback of how we can continue to provide the best experience.
Entry fee pricing
It seems like the price of everything is going up right now, including the costs for promoters to put on the races you love. It would make a lot of sense to increase the cost of entry as well.
But we have good news!
Through the 2022 season, we are keeping the pre-reg entry fee at $25 (plus the usual race license costs and service fees). Elite 1/2/3 races will continue at $30. Make sure to take advantage of it while it lasts!